cannot login on first access.

The open source MySQL administration tool, http://www.phpmyadmin.net/
WillemGrooters
VMS Guru

cannot login on first access.

#1 Post by WillemGrooters »

In the process of transforming my webs from static to dynamic (at least, part of it) I installed the VMS port of MySQL 4.1. For management, I also installed PHPMyAdmin (latest version: 2.8.0.2), prepared the database (I thought) but now I cannot login using this product:

#1045 - Access denied for user '<user>'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I'm sure that I entered username and password correctly and equal to what I specified in setting up. It's surely something stupid - what did I miss?

(Apache 2.1 + related stuff, on VMS 8.2 (AXP))

Willem

WillemGrooters
VMS Guru

something different

#2 Post by WillemGrooters »

:oops: As usual - I should have read the manuals BEFORE doing anything.

Ok, that problem being solved, now for something different.
Now I can login, but I get:

#1273 - Unknown collation: 'utf8_unicode_ci'

That has to do with something in the area of used character set.
\is this an MySQL issue (I think so - can that be chnaged easily or do I have to drop the whole phpmyadmin database (or mysql as a whole - I used the script that was supplied with 4.1/VMS...) and create another one, or can I alter it on-the-fly (phpmyadmin is the first one added, so it's not a lot trouble to redo it)

issinoho
Site Admin

#3 Post by issinoho »

Has phpmyadmin changed? Certainly in the version I am using (2.6.1) there was no need for a database schema for phpmyadmin itself, you simply pointed it at an existing MySQL instance.

My phpmyadmin install has a collation of utf8_general_ci and looking at the list of alternatives, the unicode collation in your error message is not listed as an option :?:

Try this link for starters, http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/ ... -sets.html

WillemGrooters
VMS Guru

#4 Post by WillemGrooters »

I don't know if, and in what extent, phpmyadmin has changed since 2.6, but the vertion I have running on my Windows box is 2.7.0 and when installing that, a database schema was added.

The funny part: I tried several things - rebuilding the phpmysql-schema using utf8_bin) but that didn't help. At and, I reversed it to the original and behold: :shock: I could start - although I got a message concerning the issue.

Not that is was 100% ok, since the phpmyadmin schema didn't show up, and I couldn't what I intend to: getting error #1043 (no text but the Mysql manual told me that this means kind of "protection violation". So I chnaged my login to allow everting, and tried to do the same from my VMS box.

Nope. :evil:

Again, this collation error. Also accessing is from elsewhere.

Anyway.I'll try utf8_general_ci

issinoho
Site Admin

#5 Post by issinoho »

Is there a minimum supported version of MySQL for this version of phpmyadmin - worth rechecking the website, we may have a basic incompatibility between it and the VMS MySQL.

Also, try going back to say V2.6 just to check that it is OK on your system.

WillemGrooters
VMS Guru

#6 Post by WillemGrooters »

:( Bad site, in that respect: doesn't mention requirements in release notes (some pepole really need to be educated, IMHO). But the header specifies that 4.1 is supported. So that should be Ok.
I tried the help forums as well but didn't find an answerr there.

Another issue may be that php_mysql module might be an old one :x - pre-4.1 anyway. I got the same problem with the password and was able to bypass it - that too could be a problem. ( :?: Does anyone know of a GOOD ona available? :?: )

I could try 2.6 (latest) and see what's up there.

WillemGrooters
VMS Guru

No need!

#7 Post by WillemGrooters »

No need to downgrade :D
:idea: I could get around the problem by changing the URL in the address line. That contains a part:

Code: Select all

&collation_connection=utf8_unicode_ci
Change that (in the URL!) to:

&collation_connection=utf8_general_ci
and it's done! :lol:

Next - make that persistent, even when the cookies are cleaned. I guess that's something in the configuration.

Marty
$ HELP

Add a line to the config file.

#8 Post by Marty »

By putting this in the config^.inc.php file

$cfg&#91;'DefaultConnectionCollation'&#93; = 'utf8_general_ci';
and restarting SWB (the browser, not the webserver), it seems to work now.

SWB 1.7-11, MySQL 4.1.14, phpMyAdmin 2.8.0.4

issinoho
Site Admin

#9 Post by issinoho »

Can you post a copy of your config^.inc.php file (obfuscate your personal details obviously) as I cannot get this to work at all and can't help feeling I'm doing something daft.

Many thanks.

issinoho
Site Admin

#10 Post by issinoho »

Ok, this is weird.
I've got phpMyAdmin - 2.9.2 running flawlessly when using Firefox, however if I browse to the site in IE7, I get...

=============================
Error
MySQL said:

#1273 - Unknown collation: 'utf8_unicode_ci'
=============================

What's going on?

WillemGrooters
VMS Guru

Cache....

#11 Post by WillemGrooters »

cache of IE7, I think. I have the same problem with a number of sites, not just phpMyadmin.
Delete temoprary files and cookies (all or selective - your choice) and the problem is over...