php.ini options

Discussions around the use of PHP on VMS
issinoho
Site Admin

php.ini options

#1 Post by issinoho »

MOD_PHP ships with a very limited php.ini file which only contains commented out extensions. Now I've had a go at adding some other options to this file and they do seem to have an effect.

Can anyone say which php options are actually supported by MOD_PHP; is it all of them? If so why does it not ship with a fuller php.ini file to allow easier customisation. If there are a more limited set of options, is this documented anywhere.

I have x-posted this to c.o.v, and in turn will post relevant responses back to this board.

Alphaman
$ HELP

My take

#2 Post by Alphaman »

I saw your post on c.o.v., but was at work and didn't have an opportunity to reply, and I can't get to this system from work (they block non-standard http ports at the corporate level.)

My take on the topic is that it's probably a security feature: don't turn on anything you don't need, to limit exposure. Why turn on php_exif if you don't need it? What if 6 months from now, someone finds an exploit and you've got it turned on by default? You could be hosed before you got to your system, even if it's in the same room.

That's the difference between the VMS mentality and the PeeCee world. I'm all for it.

As far as I know, if it's in the PHP.ini, it's built into the system. Case in point: I've noticed that php_gd is NOT in the file -- erego, it's not supported. I've turned on several items in mine, too, and they work as expected.

Cheers,

issinoho
Site Admin

#3 Post by issinoho »

Shame about GD as I use it for Coppermine & such; however I assume we could use ImageMagick instead.

I smell an experiment for a wet Sunday afternoon. :lol:

Alphaman
$ HELP

#4 Post by Alphaman »

issinoho wrote:Shame about GD as I use it for Coppermine & such; however I assume we could use ImageMagick instead.

I smell an experiment for a wet Sunday afternoon. :lol:

And Monday. Tuesday. Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun Mon T W Th F....

I've been working on ImageMagick for longer than I care to remember. I've downloaded and tried to build at least 4 different variants so far in the past month. I have not yet gotten what I need -- the ability to manipulate JPEGs and with a side-bene of extracting EXIF data. Sounds simple, huh? It's not. :cry:

ImageMagick is a great tool -- I've used it before, for years -- but building it is a typical U*X kludge and a half :roll: and has cost me many, many hours of sleep.

It seems that there's only one other person on this planet who has built it on OpenVMS, but plenty of people who've been frustrated by it. I've finally found his web page on the topic, but it's sparse, incomplete, and relies heavily upon the user to read the original programs U*X docu and then interpret their meaning into something that works in the VMS world. :evil: Nothing against the person who's gotten it running -- matter of fact, major props to the dude(tte) -- but like I've always said, UNIX is programmer friendly, user hostile. What kind of a lamer invented a system where an end user must edit .h files, compile HLLs, and manually install libraries in order to download and run a program!?! Yeesh!

It took me over a day to find the "readme.txt" for the JPEG library. Why? Because it's not called "readme" and it's not labelled ".txt", in spite of the fact that it is a text readme file!!! "install.doc" -- try and find that smack dab in the middle of 3.6MB of 220+ C modules! What's with the .doc? That's an Office extension. Not even a AAA_Readme.txt.... GRRRRRR :evil:

/*Rant mode=off*/

issinoho
Site Admin

ImageMagick

#5 Post by issinoho »

Ok, so I've got a copy of ImageMagick and it built cleanly enough. A little bit of Motif security tweaking and the GUI was up and running. GIF processing works out the box but it can't handle JPEG.

Is this the point which you reached? Have you actually managed to get JPEG processing working and if so, what did you do? :?:

Alphaman
$ HELP

Re: ImageMagick

#6 Post by Alphaman »

issinoho wrote:Is this the point which you reached? Have you actually managed to get JPEG processing working and if so, what did you do? :?:
Yes, that's exactly where I'm at. I've found the JPEG libraries and have built them, and with a bit of hair pulling, managed to get the requisite components into Sys$Library. I've tweaked the IM .h_vms include file to point at what I thought was just the JPEG library, but it blows off about when it tries to build the .EXEs.

I've got some more playing with it to do, but I'm getting close. I found a good page on building the VMS kit at imagemagick.ORG (not .com), and some folks on the ITRC forums pointed me at another person's site in the Netherlands that has links to all the kits, some tips, and also patch kits needed to get some modules to work on VMS.

If I can get this working, then I'll be looking to get the MPEG delegate working, too.

issinoho
Site Admin

#7 Post by issinoho »

If you need help then just shout, I've got a background in VAX C so it might be fun to work on something like this. Perhaps you could PM me where you're at and delegate me some work. :idea:

#8 Post by Guest »

replying to the OP: Ive set safe_mode on, and it seems to work