Installation

A splendid open source, pure-PHP web-based email solution, http://blog.ilohamail.org/
issinoho
Site Admin

Installation

#1 Post by issinoho »

I'd been looking for a webmail solution so I could check the email on my Alpha remotely through the web.

Well, along came IlohaMail and it works right out the box. :lol:

Absolutely no hacks of any kind were needed; it's using pure VAMP. I've got mine running with the MySQL backend activated and it's fine.

I'm using TCPware to expose VMSMail through an IMAP interface and SMTP forwarding through TCPware to an SMTP server (MDaemon) on my XP box.

Highly recommended.[/url]

WillemGrooters
VMS Guru

Anotyer approach

#2 Post by WillemGrooters »

I'm using TCPware to expose VMSMail through an IMAP interface and SMTP forwarding through TCPware to an SMTP server (MDaemon) on my XP box.
Why via your XP box? :shock:
My PWS Alpha is routed directly onto the Internet, and my ISP forwards all mail for my domain directly to it. The VMS mailboxes can be accessed via the web using YAHMAIL - not very fancy, but quite basic stuff so VERY well suitable for dial-up and bad lines - and by POP to read it to Outlook on my PC's. The machine is set up as a relay to send mail from the PC's out to the whole world, and will accept mail for my domain only (ISP tests reguraly :twisted: and never succeeds, of course :D )
On another machine (DEC3000...), I'm testing CommunigatePro (commercial software), that can well be used as a web-replacement for outlook. That uses RPOP (or IMAP, or whatever) to read my normal mail plus a number of external mailboxes.
Good stuff, by the way, very efficient but the web interface is more elaborate and requires more processor and disk access and bandwidth, and the DEC3000 is a bit slow on that.

issinoho
Site Admin

Re: Anotyer approach

#3 Post by issinoho »

Why via your XP box? :shock:
Can the TCPWare SMTP server do direct DNS-driven delivery rather than using a Smart Host? If so, I may well change to using it.

WillemGrooters
VMS Guru

why not?

#4 Post by WillemGrooters »

I don't know about TCPWare - using TCPIP that comes with VMS - but I cannot think of a reason why not. The only thing you need on your VMS box is resolution of domain names to IP address. If you can ping to for instance "www.hp.com" and it will return an address, address translation works - and then TCPWare's SMTP should be able to resolve the names as well (it doesn't matter if PING fails. As long as the name is translated, it's Ok :D )
If not, you will need to set up domain name resolution on your VMS box.
Mine is the local DNS as well, :idea: I will add a HOWTO on my site (the description I have doesn't tell much :wink: ).

Peter Weaver
$ HELP

Re: Installation

#5 Post by Peter Weaver »

How do you get IlohaMail to show the correct e-mail address on outgoing mail? I am using IMAP and have set my e-mail address in the Identities section, but outgoing mail still shows as coming from apache$www instead of my address.

issinoho
Site Admin

#6 Post by issinoho »

How do you get IlohaMail to show the correct e-mail address on outgoing mail? I am using IMAP and have set my e-mail address in the Identities section, but outgoing mail still shows as coming from apache$www instead of my address.
For TCPWare, the following logical name will rewrite your outgoing address,

DEF/NOLOG TCPWARE_SMTP_REPLY_TO "me@mydomain.com"

Not sure if there is an equivalent under HP TCP/IP.

Peter Weaver
$ HELP

#7 Post by Peter Weaver »

issinoho wrote: For TCPWare, the following logical name will rewrite your outgoing address,

DEF/NOLOG TCPWARE_SMTP_REPLY_TO "me@mydomain.com"

Not sure if there is an equivalent under HP TCP/IP.
It is TCPIP$SMTP_FROM and that works as long as you only have one user. It would be nicer if the Identities worked though.

issinoho
Site Admin

#8 Post by issinoho »

Is it not a process logical, i.e. one for each user?

Peter Weaver
$ HELP

#9 Post by Peter Weaver »

issinoho wrote:Is it not a process logical, i.e. one for each user?
It is, but each Ilohamail process runs under APACHE$WWW.

I fixed the problem by adding $SMTP_SERVER = "localhost"; in conf.php. Now each user can define thier own identity and send mail using it.

issinoho
Site Admin

#10 Post by issinoho »

:D :D Splendid :D :D